Tuesday was a Highbury Star deadline day, so I came in expecting to be rushing around like an idiot by midday.
As it turned out, neither of my stories were needed until later in the week, so I settled down to surf my cyber-patch from the comfort of the news-room.
That lasted about five minutes; before long I was biking along Copnor Road to investigate some collapsed gable walls.
My bike tyres are always low and this makes riding up even a mole-sized hill capable of producing a thin sweat.
As soon as the landscape flattened out the rain began, leaving me soaked, tired and irritable after a bike-ride that wouldn’t trouble an eight-year old.
The second gable-less house I came across yielded both decent pictures and, in open windows, unmistakable signs of life.
I knocked, knocked again, and eventually decided the homeowners just weren’t very security conscious so started snapping away at their poor battered wall.
Just as I was leaving the door opened and a dark-skinned boy, about 7 or 8, looked up at me.
“Are you the guy taking pictures?”
Not expecting this, I said: “I, uh, well, are your parents at home?”
“Don’t worry, he says it’s alright,” he replied, with what I took to be deep scorn at my answering a question with a question.
I asked if “he” wouldn’t mind answering a few questions.
“He doesn’t really speak English,” I was told.
And that was when his father, a stocky, turbaned man named Abdul who clearly thought I was trying to extort money from his son, arrived on the scene.
With the boy acting as translator I grabbed a few quotes and made a hasty exit (another four family members had gathered and were muttering with disapproval).
I re-entered the newsroom smiling smugly.
“Are you doing a piece on gable walls?” Karen asked.
“Yep” I replied.
“Don’t read today’s News, you’ve been beaten to it.”
Later in the week I spoke to the reporter who had stolen my story. He had gone out first thing on Monday morning and interviewed everyone involved.
AAAAAAH! Never mind, Joe, at least you got out of Highbury!
ReplyDeleteVery funny. You should never talk to children (or pets)!
Karen,